March 9, 2007

Husum


Well we had a busy weekend visiting with the family. Friday we drove down to Husum to visit Oli's parents and my parents drove down also so my dad could get some oak from Frank. Layden had a lot of fun getting spoiled.
Joy and Frank have a fireplace so this weekend we learned "hot". We started when the stove was just warm and Joy animatedly acted out burning herself on the stove and saying "hot!" "ouch!". Then she had Layden touch the stove and said "hot!". This really upset Layden for some reason (really the stove was just warm. After that I think he wasn't so sure about Joy sense concerning hot things. Whenever she would stand in front of it he would push her away and say hot. He would also walk right up to it, point at it and say hot, the pokers were also hot. Very cute but he would still get a bit close at times though he wouldn't touch it.
Layden had a very musical weekend. He really enjoyed playing the recorder, drum and piano. He seems to be fairly musically inclined, or at least he enjoys making noise. Joy says she is going to make him a little tom tom sometime. I am sure he will love it. It combines two of his favorites, hitting things and making noise.
Joy has very, very many furs piled up in her bedroom right now. She is so good with her hands. A couple of merino sheep skins made a good cushion for the hide-a-bed which is not so comfortable as it once was, just like every other hide-a-bed. She also has a cougar hide that was sitting on her bed. Layden was on the bed and he petted the head with one finger and said kitty. Then he lifted the head and looked underneath. I think he decided there was something seriously wrong with that kitty, parts missing.
On Saturday, Mom and I drove over to Portland so we could go to Fabric Depot, 40% off weekend. I had only been there once before to pick out fabric for my wedding dress. They have so very very much fabric. Mom wanted to get some wholesale, bolt fabric but they were out so she had to settle for 15ish different quilting fabrics. They had very many cute fabrics and it turns out mom and I have pretty similar tastes. Luckily I am not a quilter so the store wasn't terribly tempting. I want to make (watch my mom make) myself a nice light skirt for the summer. They had lots of options but it turns out I am very picky. Eventually I found batik cotton that was nice, green with a leafy pattern. So sometime I will have to visit mom, or maybe get her to visit me so she can make it, I mean help me make it. We had a good time spending mom's money. Layden stayed home with Joy and the boys and it sounds like they had a good time too. Dad is feeling a bit under the weather though, which is too bad.
Mom and Dad stayed at the Inn of the White Salmon. It is a bed and breakfasty inn, decorated Victorian. Apparently the "European" breakfast is really good. Pastries, fruit, cheese cakes, eggs... We got waffles with strawberries and ice cream and mom brought kuchen so I am not too jealous.
We drove home today and stopped by Oli's Uncle Bob (Joy's brother) and Aunt Diane's in Hermiston. We had a good visit and break from the car. Layden enjoyed stretching his legs and got enough exercise for a second nap. We got to look at a couple of Model T's (1919 and 1923) one with burl steering wheel and spokes. There was also a HUGE truck, an older Dodge Power Wagon not really BIG by today's standards but it just has a really big, grrr, type feel to it. For sale by the way and in good condition. They also have 50's red car, sadly I don't remember what kind. My favorite was a rare early 60's black Valiant with red interior, recently repainted and restored, original interior. It was Oli's grandma's apparently his grandpa kept it in top condition for his wife to drive if he died, then she died first.
Back home again. Waiting until Layden is ready to crash again. The cat was happen to have us home for some company again and there were plenty of bills waitin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I remember seeing those cars at Oli's uncles house! And I've eaten at the Inn at White Salmon..very good breakfast. I'm glad you guys are doing well!! Too bad I didn't know you were in Portland, we could have met up! Anyway, if you come this way again let us know!
Shanell