January 31, 2007

Serious Lack

This morning I volunteered at the library for the first time, just an hour and a half. I restocked the paperback rack and put some new ones away on the shelves. There are a couple cases of romance novels and less than one shelf of science fiction. This is a serious lack. Serious. Not only is there a mere half shelf, but it is a half shelf of pretty bad sci fi. Serious. Luckily we have a whole box of Asimov, Pohl, Bradbury, Clark and Bova that we have been meaning to get rid of. Still that will only bring it up to a shelf and a half or so. I suppose it is difficult to be both prolific and good, which explains why there are so very, very many romance novels. Don't feel too bad if you are one of those that likes romance, I am just saying that if good literature is the meat and potatoes of literature and (good) science fiction is the Riesling Icewine then romance novels are the after dinner Twinkie. Entertaining, junk food for the mind, but not substantial. Actually the local library really has a pretty sad science fiction selection in general.
This evening, Layden and I went on a walk with Lynda, which I apparently desperately needed because the walk up the hill just about killed me. Not in real great shape right now and I have been eating pretty poorly, which is why I was a bit surprised to discover my waist is down 1.5". I give Layden all of the credit, thank you for literally sucking the fat out of my body.
Then Lynda made me supper, teriyaki chicken, very yum, while Layden wandered about the house and removed Sandra Bullock movies from the rack. Guess he likes brunettes. Lynda put on some funk and Layden got down with his bad self. He would turn to face the player then dance by bobbing up and down with the biggest, goofiest, open mouthed smile on his face. Lynda and I were busting up laughing, oh how I wish I had the digital camera with me.

1 comment:

Not Lucy said...

You need to have the camera with you at all times.