January 30, 2007

Madness

Today Layden helped me bake cookies, and by help I mean that he hindered and generally made a mess but was real cute about it so it was fun. We made coffee spice drops with "near eastern flavor" according to Betty Crocker. They are pretty good but I am thinking I should maybe avoid them before bed.
Layden got his flu shot booster today. While we were waiting I was talking to a lady who said she has a 14 month old. She had morning sickness for the entire 9 months of her pregnancy. Toward the end they found a pill that worked for her but only if she never left her bed. The amazing thing is that she actually plans on doing it again. Not until her first is 5 years old, but still, I think if it were me Layden would be able to look forward to a future as a spoiled only child. My pregnancy was pretty easy and Layden is really an angel (when he isn't busy channeling the devil) but I am still quite sure I am not ready to do it all again, or handle a second angel at this point. For this reason women who have children one after the other both impress and bewilder me. I bow at their feet because they somehow manage it without going insane (or at least not noticeably) but at the same time I wouldn't choose that sort of challenge for myself.
I am starting volunteering at the local library. I will have the exciting job of restocking the paperbacks and working on the book sale shelves. Sounds boring, I know, but it is the sort of organizational job I enjoy (couldn't tell by looking at my house, but it is true). I stopped by to talk to the library director lady today and I will probably go in for a couple hours tomorrow morning while the instructions are fresh and she will be there. Who knows, some day when Oli's schedule gets a bit more regular it may even turn into a real job. From the way she asked if I meant apply for an actual job, and to let her know when the schedule is more regular I could have a good chance. Sounds kinda like most of their volunteers are of the mandatory community service sort.

No comments: