August 28, 2006

Kitty?


I know we brought a cat home from the humane society but most of the time it is hard to remember she is here. She spends most of the day hiding behind the washer/dryer and then spends her nights prowling the basement. She is quite friendly at night and even scratched on our bedroom door last night, she wanted to come in and play. She is still very skittish. I had to get some laundry done today and she kinda freaked out when the washer got turned on. She went running all around the basement looking for somewhere new to hide. Luckily for her there are many options at this point. She just popped her head out to say hi and has headed upstairs. I think she doesn't like the final spin cycle on the washer.

Layden and I had lunch with Lynda (oops, it turns out she spells it Lynda, not Linda) and Troy yesterday. We had salmon and noodles and mandarin oranges and watched "Benchwarmers". She has a little chubby chihuahua named Baby and a larger short haired something named Max. Max dislikes Oli (he doesn't like men), is a bit afraid of Layden but seems to like me. Baby seemed to like Layden, maybe because they are about the same size. She would just go over and sit right next to Layden. Layden of course loved that. Just like he loves the new kitty whenever she happens to show up. However she hears his happy, excited noise, sees him headed her way and immediately skedaddles.
Last night on our walk we went an extra half hour and up a very large hill. It felt pretty good though. Towards the end it started to get dark and Layden was really enjoying the neon signs and street lights down town. He was telling us all about it. Then he wanted his daddy to carry him, which of course made his daddy very happy. He spend the end of the walk telling his daddy all about it. Just talking and talking and talking. I love to hear him talk. I love it when he gets loud and excited and throws in hand gestures. I love it when he speaks softly with little cooing noises you can barely hear. And I love it when he talks sleepily telling me about his dreams and what a good nap he had.
The neighbor boys seem to be warming up to me, though they are stilla bit shy around Oli. I was sitting in our bedroom looking out the window where Tristen was playing and he noticed me. So then we played a game of modified peek-a-boo.
"Missy"
I pop my head up "my names not missy"
pop back down
"Truck"
pop back up "my names not truck, your names car"
"no your names car"
"your names Tristan"
"no your names Tristan"
"Your names Chelsea"
"No your names Chelsea"
"that's right
Then Layden and I headed out to the backyard to visit. We hung out with Tristan for awhile in the backyard. Looking for plums (it turns out we have a plum tree, but it has been neglected so the fruit is 20 feet up), inspecting the deer droppings, playing in the "woods" (our prunings). Then I needed to get some laundry started and Tristan decided to follow me into the house. So he got to see the kitty freak out and Bruce. Then Evan woke up and he and Sarah came over. Evan had his last bite of lunch in his mouth for the first 5 minutes or so. Sarah kept trying to get him to swallow but he wasn't interested. Tristan took him into the basement to show him the turtle "come on in", and he must of liked it because he kept going over to the door and his mom kept telling him to come back. They played with golf balls they found in the yard. Then they found the compost pile.
T: "Come over here"
M: "Who me?"
"Yes" (in a tone implying I am not too bright)
"What is it?"
"Come see"
"That is the compost pile"
E: "Comost?"
T: "There's eggs!"
I this point I think Tristan and Evan have decided that we are really as crazy as the clothes line had led them to believe. Sarah plans on starting a garden next spring and then they will have a compost pile too and we might seem a bit less wierd. Tristan wanted to stay and play in the "woods" when I put Layden down for a nap but Sarah made him play in their yard. Probably wise, those egg shells seemed pretty tempting and Evan still puts everything in his mouth.

No comments: