December 26, 2005

Layden Update


Layden is now 4 days old and it has been unanimously decided that I make good babies. Sadly I am not so good at getting them out, but I figure out is out. We went into the hospital on Monday evening and started inducing labor. Two days later by Wednesday night the contractions were every two minutes and they claim I was getting a break between contractions however I do not agree, if the pain does not stop it is not a break. At this point I was hooked up to an epidural. Very strange feeling. I can't imagine why any woman would go into labor planning on getting an epidural right away. Your legs are no longer your own. You are pretty sure you have legs but they don't move or have any sort of sensation. Should you wish them to be elsewhere you have to get some one to do it for you. You can't try different positions and you can't take advantage of the lovely jacuzzi bath. Though the pain does go away, which is quite nice. On Thursday morning after a night of strong, regular, "productive" contractions, still no baby, the cervix is only up to 4 cm and has actually swollen somewhat. In other words, bab is most definitely not heading out in the normal manner any time soon. So at 10:54 am on December 22nd Layden Richard Walsh was born by cesarean section. He was a robust 9 lbs .7 oz.
Today he and I are both doing well. He is strong, very strong. He is already moving his head around, not always in a coordinated manner though. My family arrived on Friday and today all of them, except my mom have headed up to Sandpoint to visit the Olsons. Mom has stayed behind to help me because even though both Layden and I are doing well he is having a little trouble with the breastfeeding process. Which is causing his momma no end of frustration and even a little pain. Oli's mom arrived on Christmas eve and is staying with us for a bit to help out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! I know it seems like something so natural should be easy. Wrong. Motherhood is a beautiful thing...but not easy. Your baby is beautiful, and you are a wonderful mommy! I'm proud to call you my cousin because you were tough during labor....3 days!!!! I know those posterior birth positions aren't easy--that's what William was. As for the breastfeeding, you can do it. He'll get the hang of it eventually, and then he'll never stop. Love ya. Jody