February 20, 2007

Visit Home

We spent the last weekend visiting my parents over in Olalla. Layden was an angel the whole time. He ate rice cakes, played nicely with the dog (when she let him), hugged Jake and tried to give him kisses (which he spurned) I mean he really tried hard, repeatedly, not taking no for an answer, he wandered about the house staying out of stuff he shouldn't get into, played with his toys, did not try to climb on the table. It was amazing, beautiful, and frustrating. We got home and all of this disappeared. He pulled the cat's tail, climbed on to the table and got into everything but I know that none of you will believe me, especially you mom. My mom has been working on cleaning out her sewing room and it is looking really good. I dug out a small doll quilt that I had started long ago and had been sewing buttons to. I decided to cut off the buttons and we were going to just finish it off but something had gotten on to it and it was starting to dissolve. I also pulled out another quilt I had started somewhere around 2001. I had come up with a design, which I later discovered was single Irish chain but with all different fabrics instead of just one (which incidentally is the pattern I had once again decided recently that I would like to make). I already had 150 colored squares cut out. So I cut out 50 more and the muslin to go in between. I got half of the rows sewed together and I took the rest of the pieces with me to sew at home. I got all the rest of the rows done last night. I was going to sew the rows together when I discovered that my half inch foot did not result in the same size seam as my mom's half inch foot. This is very very sad. I have to rip all the seams and sew them back together. It takes much much longer to rip a seam than to sew it. Especially considering that I cannot find my seam ripper and don't really feel like driving the noisy, broken muffler truck into Pullman to get one. But I just might have to because we need groceries and Oli works through Friday. Friday I will visit my mum at the quilt retreat and maybe get the rows resewed.
We went to a quilt show with my mom and concluded that most people don't have very good taste (aka our taste) in quilts.
While we on the west side we got together with some friends. We had dinner with Liz (friend since preschool/jr. high) and Mark. They have a very cool house, especially the basement, which contains a pool table, pinball machine and foosball table. Lots of fun, but I don't envy them when it comes time to move. We also met up with Dan (Oli's best man) for lunch in Kent. We went to a salad/pasta buffet, when we arrived they told us it was a 20-30 min wait so we walked across the lot to Starbucks for hot chocolate. Dan jokingly asked if we would rather go to the one across the street because it feels like there are that many of them in Seattle. Then as we were sitting in the restaurant I looked out the window and saw, you guessed it, another Starbucks across the street. The Seattle area is the place to go for coffee. They have bars where the baristas are scantily clad and even has one where you pay what you want, if you want.
Today it is just plain nasty out side. Currently the rain/hail is falling in diagonal sheets. Layden is a bit grumpy. I think he may still be a bit worn out from the trip and he is also teething. Poor guy. When he trips or falls it is just Too Much. He just can't take another thing; he will be needing a lot of lap time today I expect. Maybe we will go grocery shopping, he usually seems to enjoy that.

No comments: