February 7, 2007

GENTLE!

IMG_6971.JPG
I am slowly beginning to feel better, still stuffed up. I regressed from a metro back to a truck but now I only feel like I got hit by a fat man on a unicycle. It hasn't been helped by the fact that Layden has been taking naps late in the evening and then going to bed around midnight. I think I may have gotten that sorted out last night though. He started to nod off while nursing around 6:00 but I sat him up on the floor, he was pissed. So we walked around the house a bit and then we took a bath. That cheered him up and he was good until around 9:00 pm when he went to sleep. Of course I was unable to get to sleep for a couple of hours, but that is still progress.
We had been working with him on being nicer to the kitty, telling him "no, gentle" when he would beat on her but if anything he only got worse. He progressed to grabbing handfuls of loose skin and jerking her around, definitely not nice. So we have moved on to "NO, GENTLE" and then carry him to his room and shut him in. This he does not like. He starts out fine, then realizes he is shut in, then cries like his heart would break, then after a bit he gets pissed and he just sounds angry and pounds on the door. But it does seem to be making an impression. Now when we say "no, gentle" he generally stops but he still gets shut in his room occasionally. Oli seems to be even more effective at this than I am. When Oli says it Layden looks at him, occasionally sneaks a look towards his room and then almost always stops. Give us a couple weeks or so and he might be able to develop a less hostile relationship with the cat.

No comments: